Director: Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Starring: Klaus Löwitsch, Barbara Valentin, Mascha Rabben
Simulacron 1 is a highly advanced project, designed to elevate conventional computer technology to a new level by creating a virtual reality inhabited by computer-generated people or 'identity units'. When the head of the project dies mysteriously after showing signs of mental disturbance, Dr Stiller becomes his successor. As he begins to probe deeper into Simulacron, the line between the real and virtual world becomes increasingly blurred and his own existence is questioned.
Rainer Werner Fassbinder's acclaimed science fiction classic has been hugely influential, with themes that would later be explored in films such as The Matrix.
- No Strings Attached - an interview with assistant director Renate Leiffer
- Observing Fassbinder – a tribute to photographer Peter Gauhe
- Looking Ahead to Today documentary
- On-set featurette
- Original Broadcast Recap
- The Simulation Argument – an interview with Professor Nick Bostrom
- Rigid slipcase packaging
- 50 page perfect-bound booklet featuring new essays by Anton Bitel and Daniel Bird and archival writing by Daniel Oberhaus and Christian Braad Thomsen